Minneapolis, Minnesota
1.2K views
Resolved

I rented a textbook from apex_media through amazon. The book was fine, but when I returned it (on time), I was charged full price for the book because it had "binding damage". This concerned me, because I didn't damage the book (and I went overboard in packaging it safely). I was also being charged over $100 dollars more than the book was worth.

Renting book: $20

Buying new: $180

Amount charged to me because of "binding damage": $312

I filed a complaint with amazon because this was ridiculous, and I was skeptical that the book had any actual damage.

Amazon said they would refund me the money within 3 to 5 business days, but that time is up and I still have not been refunded. They also hinted that the book may have been damaged in transit (so it's still "my fault").

Today I received the rental book back (because of the "damage", it was automatically purchased, so it's mine), and found that there was NO DAMAGE. I repeat, this book was NOT DAMAGED in any way, and I was charged over $300 for returning it without damage.

This is an absolute scam. In the terms and conditions, they say it is up to their sole discretion to determine whether a return is in acceptable condition. So basically they can say any book is damaged and need no proof. Renting from amazon is the equivalent of buying a used book for way more than it is worth new. And they have direct access to your bank account so it doesn't matter what you think.

Thanks Amazon and Apex_Media for your totally respectable business practices. I hope you go bankrupt for pulling stunts like this.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amazon Account.

Reason of review: Textbook scam.

• Renting
  • illegal

Comments

Possible way to resolve Amazon Rental claims of damage... First I got the following email: Dear ..., Thank you for returning your rental.

We were not able to accept your return for the following reasons: Water Damage You have been charged $57.62 for the item. We will return the item to you within 30 days and it is yours to keep. Item Purchased Essentials of Sociology Essentials of Sociology Purchase date: December 5, 2018 MANAGE YOUR RENTAL Purchase Charge Summary Purchase price:$68.58 Rental credit:- $14.98 Total before tax:$53.60 Tax:$4.02 Total charges:$57.62 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I went to the Amazon website and asked to be called back (Let Us Help You--> Help--> Need more help? -->Have us call you They called back quickly.

On hold briefly. Talked to someone I'd guess Philippina, loud call center. Talked, she said to email back to the email that was sent (the above email). I asked for a supervisor.

She said it would be refunded. A few minutes later sent this: Hello..., This is Marie, the supervisor who assisted you earlier. I've requested a refund of $57.62 to your credit card.You'll see the refund on your credit card statement in the next 3-5 business days. Once processed, you'll also be able to see the refund request here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/edit.html.........

Thank you for allowing me to help you out today. I'm glad I was able to satisfy and resolve your concerns. You are our top priority here in Amazon.com. Enjoy the rest of your day.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today. Best regards, Marie O Amazon.com -------------------------------------------------------------- A few minutes after that, this email came: Dear ..., We have processed your refund. Your rental is now closed and no further action is necessary.

Thank you for choosing Amazon Rentals! Rental Closed Essentials of Sociology Essentials of Sociology MANAGE YOUR RENTAL Refund Summary Total before tax:$53.60 Tax:$4.02 Total charges:$57.62 ---------------------------------------------- Good luck!

Don’t rent textbooks from amazon!!!!EVER!!! You’re gonna pay full price for the textbook because it was “damaged”!!Scam!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, me too! What a scam.

#1220629

same thing happened to me