Privacy and Data Security

My Amazon.com seller account (which I hadn't used in years) was hacked in late April.Someone was posting thousands of electronics items (I only ever sold used books on it) and then billing customers but not sending the items.

It was a scammer. So I call them to report this. I speak with a lovely woman in India who says that the seller performance team will look into the matter and I will receive an email when it has been resolved. I change my gmail password and several others just for safety's sake.

The next day I see that I am completely locked out of Amazon, both as a buyer and as a seller. 10 days later, no word from the mysterious "seller performance" team. I call again, speak with a lovely man in India. I go into more detail and insist that the matter be resolved and the hacked seller account be closed or cancelled completely.

He gives me a "case ID number" and says he will put the case in as "expedited." I am told I will receive an email when the matter has been resolved, typically 7-10 business days. Again, a couple weeks go by with no word from Amazon, and I am still completely locked out. I send emails to seller-performance@amazon.com. No answer.

I call again. Another lovely woman in India gets quite the tongue-lashing from me. She says that the case has been elevated to the "merchant team." (Who are they, and how are they different from the "seller performance" team? No one knows.) This team is evidently higher up and more serious.

Meanwhile, the debit card that I had stored on my amazon.com account gets charged by Amazon.com for over $2600 in "seller return fees." Obviously, the hacker is not sending the items and simply collecting the money. Buyers of items report, Amazon charges my card. I call my bank. I cancel my debit card.

The bank says they're on it. Long story short, still no word from *anyone* at Amazon on July 2nd, over two months from when the saga began. Still no access to my buyer account. The mysterious "merchant team" appears to be nonexistent.

Don't fall for it.

Leave Amazon now!Customers have absolutely no recourse for holding this giant behemoth of a company accountable.

Review about: Amazon Account.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I didn't like: Absence of any method for quickly resolving account fraud.

Comments