2.2
Additional Fees

I've recently found that Amazon advertises items as "Prime" and when I place an order, the estimated delivery date indicates they'll arrive in 2-days. About 12 hours later, I'll get an email stating that shipping has been upgraded to free-2-day shipping or that my ship date will be sooner, and discover that one or more of the items on an order won't ship for another 5-7 days. In some cases, I've selected items that cost more because they qualified for "free 2-day shipping." When I go back to look at the item listings, they've changed to either indicate the item is "temporarily out of stock" or that the item ships delayed, or isn't eligible for Prime. The first time this happened, I thought I was nuts. The 2nd time... well, here's the conversation:

Me: This item, when ordered, was estimated for delivery on 10/28. It was shown with 2-day Prime shipping and no delay in when it shipped. This is the 2nd time this "bait and switch" has happened with an order I placed.

Kavitha: Hello Rebecca, my name is Kavitha. I'm here to help you today.

I sincerely apologize for the trouble this has caused you.

Please confirm the order number.

Me: 104-7281360-2827427

Is this time - it's the felt sheets

I only ordered them because I need them by Saturday morning and it saved me a late-night trip to the craft store

Kavitha: Thanks for providing order number.

Me: the last order this happened on was 104-0492635-1637018.

Kavitha: I checked and see that the order has shipped on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 and it is in transit now. I can confirm you will receive the package on Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Me: you are wrong

I just got an email that said 'good news, it will arrive earlier than we thought, on Nov 2."

Which is the same kind of email I got last time

Kavitha: I really understand your concern. Let me check this for you.

Me: The last order, I specifically selected options that cost somewhat more because they were prime and would arrive in 2 days (the sea bands and the graco step stool). Then I got an email that said "congrats, we've upgraded you to 2 day shipping, they'll arrive in 8 days"

I pay for a prime membership, I pay A LOT for a prime membership

Kavitha: I really understand your concern.

Please allow me to explain.

Me: The first time, I thought it might be a glitch, or maybe I saw something wrong

but this time...

Kavitha: Our estimated delivery date is based on the availability of the items.

I checked and see that you have cancelled the item, "Darice FLT-0499 Felties Sticky Stiff Felt Sheets, 1mm, Primary Colors" from this order.

Me: I attempted

I don't know if I've succeeded

Kavitha: So that the delivery estimated date has changed as Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Me: again, I don't want it if it's not getting here until the 2nd

it is useless to me then

but that's not the overarching problem, the bigger problem is that I'm paying for a service, paying more for items that fall under that service, and then not getting what I have DOUBLY paid for

Kavitha: You have successfully cancelled the item from this order and the delivery date has changed as Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Me: That is not the point

Kavitha: You can check the order details here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/summary/e...(See full link) 104-7281360-2827427

Me: The point is that item was supposed to arrive on the 28th

just like the other items I ordered were supposed to arrive a week before they did

Kavitha: As I explained the item is not readily available from the appropriate suppliers.

Me: Well then it should've said that on the page when I ordered it

Kavitha: In this case, the estimated delivery date may vary based on the availability of the item.

Me: When I placed the order, the estimated delivery was 10/28

You are advertising items falsely and profiting off of it

Kavitha: Please check with this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/...(See full link)

Me: Yes, you've changed the listing today

TODAY

that is not what it said yesterday

Kavitha: It is listed on our website as "Temporarily out of stock".

Me: the listing I ordered from had 3 color options yesterday

and the one I chose was available

The listing this links to isn't even the same listing.

Kavitha: I completely understand your concern. That's absolutely not what we want our customer to experience in this case.​

Me: Yes, but how do you intend to resolve it? I have paid for a service I did not receive. As far as I'm concerned, you should refund a portion of the cost of that service.

Kavitha: I'm really sorry for the trouble caused to you. We have already escalated this issue to the appropriate suppliers. The items are more on the way. If you prefer you are welcome to place the new order once the item become in stock. To compensate the inconvenience we will apply free one day shipping to the new order.

Me: Kavitha, this does not do anything for me

That item is worthless if it's not here by Friday evening

I am paying for a service I did not receive

This means that part of the cost of that service should be reimbursed

This is the 2nd time in the span of a month that this "bait & switch" has happened

Kavitha: You haven't charge for the cancelled item. Since the item is not readily available we don't have an option to recover the cancelled item.

Me: I was charged for the other items that did not arrive when they were supposed to.

I was also charged for Prime service, which was falsely advertised

Kavitha: I can confirm you will receive the other items on October 28, 2015.

Me: I'm talking about the items from the previous order

104-0492635-1637018

Two of those items had a similar "bait & switch" applied - the sea bands and the graco step stool

Kavitha: Would you like to place the order for this item?

Me: No

I received that item, long after it was supposed to have arrived

I am trying to tell you that this has happened with two orders

Kavitha: Please let me know what best I can do with this.

Me: On two occasions, I ordered items that were supposed to arrive in 2-days.

The initial shipping estimate said 2 days.

I chose items priced higher because they were eligible for 2 day shipping

On two occasions, I've received emails after the fact stating that shipping was "upgraded" to 2-day, but the items wouldn't ship for 5-7 days.

Kavitha: As I explained our estimated delivery date is based on the availability of the items. You can see the estimated delivery date in the final check out page when you place the order.

Me: yes, and the estimated delivery date on the final checkout page indicated two days in both of these cases

Kavitha: When you place the order we have given estimated delivery date as Wednesday, October 7, 2015 for Sea-band Mama Acupressure Wristband

Me: All items were under the same 2-day delivery date when I placed that order

it wasn't until I got a follow-up email that I was made aware it would ship on a different date and be in a different package

Yesterday, when I assembled the other order, it was all shown in one package on one delivery date

then I got an email saying "nevermind, it won't be there until next week"

Kavitha: Our delivery estimates are based on the item's availability and the delivery speed you choose. If an item is "In Stock" and you choose One-Day or Two-Day Shipping, you'll receive it more quickly than if you choose Standard or Free Shipping. The most up-to-date delivery date for an item will be displayed during checkout.

Me: You see what I see, but you can't see what was there when I placed the order

I always chose one day shipping

sorry

two day

I always chose two day

Kavitha: As you may know, we have several fulfillment centers across the U.S., and the items in your order may sometimes be in stock at different locations. When you place your order, we estimate your ship date based on where we have inventory, the delivery address you provide, and how quickly we can obtain and assemble items for shipment.This estimate takes into account the fact that available items may be held for shipment until we have assembled the rest of your order.

Me: ok, well, the original estimated ship dates were lies

I have paid for a service (Prime 2 day shipping) that I am not receiving even when I elect to receive it

Kavitha: I'm really sorry. When you place the order the item hasn't in stock. Now you have cancelled the item, so that you will receive the package on Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Me: If you were sorry, and you cared about keeping a customer, you would refund part of the price I pay for the Prime service I have not been receiving

Kavitha: I'm really sorry for the trouble caused to you. Since the order going to deliver as promised. The item hasn't in stock in this case, we don't have an option to deliver the item within two days. I hope you understand. Actually I would love to help you. So that as an exception I'll offer free one day shipping to the new order.

Me: What new order?

I'm not placing another order

I don't want free 1 day shipping on an order I'm not placing

I want a refund on the service (Prime) that I pay for and I am not receiving.

Kavitha: As I explained the item hasn't in stock when you place the order. That is the reason, we hasn't provide the delivery date when you place the order.

Me: If I cancel my prime membership, do you refund me for the unused months?

Kavitha: We have sent an order confirmation email as

Estimated delivery date:

Not yet available. We'll email you as soon as we have a delivery date.

Me: The item showed as in stock when I placed my order

The listing has changed since yesterday

Kavitha: After you have cancelled the item, the estimated delivery date has updated as Wednesday, October 28, 2015.

Me: You are avoiding what I am actually saying

When I placed the order, the final checkout screen showed 10/28 as the "guaranteed delivery date."

Those are the words on the checkout screen.

Kavitha: I'm really sorry for any misunderstanding. If the item is in stock when you place the order, we have given the estimated delivery date at the item when you place the order.

Me: When I ordered that item, there were 3 color theme options for it and they were all in stock. The listing you sent me is a different one.

The check out screen reads "guaranteed delivery date," not estimated.

If I cancel my prime membership, do you refund me for the unused months?

Kavitha: I'm really sorry. It seems that you have selected shipped and sold by Amazon item, but you are stating about different supplier.

Let me check this for you.

Me: No, I am stating that Amazon changed the listing.

If I cancel my prime membership, do you refund me for the unused months?

Me: No, I am stating that Amazon changed the listing.

If I cancel my prime membership, do you refund me for the unused months?

Kavitha: I'm really sorry. I checked and see that you have subscribed Prime on Wednesday, January 7, 2015. And you have used 142 purchased for two day shipping. And Prime videos. In this case, our system will not allow to process the partial refund.

Me: So you intend to charge me fully for a service I am not receiving?

Even though I am only 75% of the way through my membership period.

Kavitha: You are welcome to use the Prime service. If you use Prime service for more than three orders, our system will not allow to process the refund.

This is fully automated process.

Me: Even when the service isn't operating as it should?

Kavitha: Since the Prim has activated before 10 months, it is not eligible for refund.

**Prime

Me:This is a different excuse than you just gave me, you know...

Honestly, with all of the bad press Amazon has been receiving, I'm sure some consumer group would love to hear about this.

Kavitha:Actually I would love to help you. I've check with my Supervisor also.

I'm not authorized to issue partial refund to this Prime subscription.

Me:I won't be renewing my Prime membership in January and I will be letting as many people as I can know about my experience with Amazon and its new "bait & switch" policy.

Kavitha:I'm really sorry that you feel that way. I'm not authorized to issue partial refund to this Prime subscription. This is beyond my limits.

I hope you understand my limits and restrictions.

Me:I think it's fairly obvious that the company knows this is going on, given how hard you've tried to avoid addressing that issue throughout this conversation.

Since you won't help me, that is all for today.

Kavitha:If there is an option I would love to help you. But I'm really sorry. I've checked with my Supervisor also.

I don't have that option to process the partial refund for this Prime subscription.

Me:Amazon is clearly about making money without any attention to customer service. I understand that your powers are limited. I hope that more customers start to notice the bad business practices and false advertising and also chose to leave.

Kavitha:I understand how frustrating it could be and I agree that the customers are absolutely correct to expect uninterrupted and hassle free services.

We do our best to ensure that all of our customers' orders go as smoothly as possible.

Me:It's cheating, really. False advertising, bait & switch, whatever you want to call it, it's a cheat

I do not think I selected the option to receive a transcript of this conversation when I started it. Can you please email me a transcript?

Kavitha:Since the item hasn't in stock we don't have an option to deliver the item within two days. As I explained, there is on estimated delivery date given for this order when you place it.

Me:No, the option you have is to refund a portion of the price of Prime because the service was advertised falsely and not received as promised

Kavitha:We're happy to send a transcript of this chat to you. Once the chat ends there will be a box you can check to have a copy automatically sent to your e-mail address.

At this point I ended the conversation and requested a transcript.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss "amazon prime bait & switch practices" of amazon prime membership. Amazon needs to issue a partial refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned amazon prime membership in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Amazon.

Comments

Join Paribas they watch this for you and send Amazon emails to get you money back for shipments that get to you later than the promised date. I am a Amazon prime member and have received lots of account credits and free months of prime because of them. Maybe this can help you as well.

Sarasota, Florida, United States #1195634

I've never experienced this until this past Friday.

Ordered a phone on 7/31 (2 day shipping)

Thursday 8/3/ notified it was shipped

Friday 8/4 notified it was being prepared for shipment and would be delivered by 8/10

Friday 8/4 I cancelled the order and started a chat Amazon, Their advice was to only order from Amazon vs. a seller (the order was "fulfillment by Amazon"

Friday 8/4 ordered a 2nd phone from Amazon Warehouse Deals (delivery promised by 8/7 - "IN STOCK") Saturday 8/5 order not shipped Saturday 8/5 notified order wouldn't be delivered until 8/10 (started another chat w/ Amazon - pissed), bottom line is they are doing some serious lying about shipping to their own clients (I'm a PRIME member too)

I browse only prime items for the 2-day shipping and because I bought a prime membership. I get to my cart, and none of them are prime anymore.

None of the colors or sizes. It has been doing this off and on, but today, every last item.

I have also gotten delayed shipments after receiving the emails about delayed shipping.

What does a prime membership actually get you, these days?

Thanks for posting this!

LWD01915

"I'm really sorry for the trouble (they) caused you." Classic line which I get in the same scenarios as you just wrote about. I've been doing business with them since they sold only books, have been a Prime member since they introduced the program (2005?) and thought I knew every trick in the book on how to order from Amazon and actually get what you want when you want it. But it still happens.