19.2K views

As I am a first time customer with Amazon I got online, I found what I was looking for so I ordered the product, the rep talked me into a 2 day delivery. I said no I am not in a hurry, so then he tells me it was something they did for first time customers.

Based on his assurance that they did this for all the new customers I chose that option. THIS MAN LIED TO ME !! Now I see what he DID NOT TELL ME was the fact that they would use my debit card to charge me without my consent or knowledge for this " Prime Account ". I WAS NOT TOLD THAT THIS CHARGE WOULD HAPPEN AND IF THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN HONEST AND NOT DECEITFUL I would have canceled their Prime B.S.

Account right away!!!!!!

Now I have been in business myself for 30 years, I HAVE NEVER DECEIVED ANYONE in all my deals and transactions !! I am not an *** or inattentive when it any business or purchases. The action of Amazon.com taking the $ 99.00 for their " Prime Account ' out of my bank account without my knowledge or consent or notifying me caused my account to over draft. I don't have money due to the fact that I am on Worker's Comp.

disability. I got hurt in another huge company's vehicle. HEY Jeff Bezo IS THIS HOW YOU DO BIZ WITH ANY AND ALL CUSTOMERS ?!! Do you always TAKE ADVANTAGE of your new customers, especially disabled people ?!!

So today I find out about this at my bank. I could not cash my check due to this over draft. I come home, get online go to my Amazon account, open it up and what do you know THERE IS NO CONTACT INFORMATION on Amazon's website. On Amazon's website why do they post no email or phone contact info.

Is this done on purpose? HMMMMMMMM! I have been Decieved!! JEFF BEZO you had better get me contact info to get this $ 99.00 plus the over draft fees refunded.

IF THERE IS NO RESPONSE BY YOU OR YOUR COMPANY IN 7 BUSINESS DAYS, IT'S OFF TO MY LAWYER'S OFFICE, THEN My next stop is the United States Federal Justice Department and the office for Disabled People.

Oh by the way its a crime to deceive Disabled People and this transaction was over state lines. Where do we go from here JEFF ??????

Product or Service Mentioned: Amazon Membership.

Store Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida

Comments

#991986

Same happen to me

The same thing happened to me, I was charged for amazon prime randomly. I did not have a free trial.

I cancelled and got an email saying I would be refunded and 30 mintues later I got another email thanking me for ordering prime. In all I was charged 4 times in one day for prime.

Customer service said it was strange and didn't know what was going on and removed my payment info from my account so I wouldn't keep getting charged. They were quick about refunding me though, it took about 12 hours.

Just happened to me also, asked to cancel said I would get a refund we shall see what happens.. Has anyone actually got their refund through Amazon and not their bank?

I had this same thing happen and I was so perplexed to see the charge of $99 charged on my credit card account. I signed up for a free 30 day trial which would have ended on April 18, 2015.

I called on April 17, 2015 to state that I wanted to cancel the trial and that I was not interested in prime at the current time.

I received an email saying:

"I've set your Prime membership to 'Do Not Renew.' That way, you will not be charged for Prime automatically. You can continue to enjoy Prime benefits for the remainder of your membership which expires on April 18, 2015."

I checked to make sure that the subscription did not renew and I was not charged. Then today April 25, 2015 I get an email with the title that read "Amazon Prime Membership Confirmation." I was shocked.

I had not made an order of any kind nor had I authorized the charge for my bank account. The only thing I did was leave a product review on the Amazon site today. I immediately called customer service and they cancelled the membership and said I should be receiving a refund of my $99 dollars in 2 to 3 business days. I'll be keeping a close eye on my bank account to make sure that I am refunded.

I'm really not sure why I was still charged even though I cancelled the trial before the trial period ended. I also had "Do Not Renew" on my Amazon account. I haven't really had problems with Amazon before and this incident definitely opened my eyes.

I'm removing my card information. I don't want to have a mysterious charge a few months from now which according to the customer service rep, he'd be more than happy to fix if they issue arises again.

Same thing happened to me, I signed up for the 30 day free trial of prime on Feb 19, 2015, then I canceled the membership before I would be billed for a full year membership on March 22, 2015. Then on April 20, 2015, I received an email saying welcome to Amazon Prime and I noticed that my credit card had been charged $99 for prime membership.

I did not sign up for prime and I did not accidentally click or unclick a box to sign up for prime on my most recent amazon order (I checked and there was no option to click to sign up for prime when I simulated the order again). Now either amazon is doing some shady stuff, which is what I am leaning towards, OR my 14 month old son got ahold of the Roku remote at home when mommy was watching him, clicked over to the amazon instant video channel, clicked over to sign up for prime, then input the exact numerical code to purchase something on the roku and clicked through the steps to sign up for prime by himself. I noticed the charge and quickly cancelled the membership and called customer service.

Luckily I should receive a full refund. I WILL NOT be storing any payment information on the amazon webisite due to this occurrance.

...You had a whole year to check your prime membership by going on the "Your Account" page. It states when and how much you will be charged. The way I see it this was a case of bad timing combined with lack of preparation on your end.

Same problem, caught the charge three months later on my daughter's college credit card because she originally ordered some books on my account. Think she checked the free-shipping box for a trial membership on Amazon Prime thinking she would cancel when they notified us at the end of the trial, but never did.

Don't remember receiving any notice so guess it automatically went into effect. So this morning I called Amazon customer service at 866-216-1072 and spoke with a customer service representative. I don't believe we ever used the service but this is the email response I got:

Hello from Amazon.com,

As you requested, we've canceled your Amazon Prime membership.

Since you only used your Amazon Prime benefits on a few items **(does not list the items)**, you will receive a prorated refund of $66.33 for the remainder of your membership. Your refund should be processed within the next 2-3 business days and will appear as a credit on your card's next billing statement.

If your latest membership charge is still processing, we'll issue the refund as soon as the charge is completed.

If you'd like to join Amazon Prime again, start a paid membership by signing-up during checkout or visiting the Amazon Prime page: http://www.amazon.com/prime

Thank you for trying Amazon Prime and shopping at Amazon.com. Best regards, Amazon.com Customer Service Don't think we ever used the service. Will monitor the account to make sure it goes through. BTW, I don't know if Amazon was being dishonest or deceitful, but I don't remember receiving any notice Amazon Prime was converting from a free trial to a paid subscription, and did I wish to continue.

But if they did I missed it. Would be nice to hear from Amazon Prime what their practice is.

same thing just happen to me. luckily our bank was kind enough to reverse the charges.

will NEVER use amazon again. We should all take the time to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau.

I just had the same thing happen to me. All of a sudden $99.00 appeared on my card.

I am furious and am cancelling my account with Amazon.

I did not give them permission to charge this to my account. This tells me everything I need to know about Amazon!!

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE AND CANCELLED AS SOON AS I SAW THE CHARGE ON MY CREDIT CARD WHICH WAS 2 DAYS LATER. I COULDN'T FIND ANY PHONE NUMBER THAT WORKS AS I AM OUT OF USA, BUT I GOT THIS MESSAGE FROM THEM SAYING THEY WILL REFUND, I HOPE IT IS TRUE AND THAT FORTUNATELY I WILL BE QUICKLY REFUNDED.

Hello from Amazon.com,

As you requested, we've canceled your Amazon Prime membership.

Since you have not used your Amazon Prime benefits, we are refunding $99.00 which includes full membership fee and any applicable fees and taxes.

I am a prime member and my membership is not due until May. On January 19, 2015, my bank account was charged 99 for membership!

I contacted them twice. First time I was told that the matter was sent to billing for a refund. Checked again and six days later, no refund, so I called back. This time I was told that there was no charges shown and that it really is not their problem.

It is my responsibility to call my bank. So, I said that someone must be stealing from people using Amazon Prime Membership to do so, and even taking the exact membership cost, and there is nothing you can do other than tell me to contact my bank! Yes is what I was told.

Don't even get me started on the fact that the customer service agent spoke broken English and I had to explain myself more than twice!!! Grrrrrr

same exact thing happen to me...99.00 bucks from my bank account

As long as you haven't used the Prime account you can unsubscribe and be refunded the $100

Yep. Those effin' b-tards did it to me too (29 Dec).

Had my wife not asked what the charge was for, they would have gotten away with ripping me off. There's probably tens of thousands of people who never caught on, just paid the bill when it came due.

I got hit with this too. I never consented to anything.

It was probably some hidden trickery checkbox somewhere. Either way, I caught it 3 months in, because I got a letter saying I wasn't using my Prime Exclusive Netflix or something.

I threw the letter out, cancelled my subscription, and was refunded my money automatically. It should be noted (for whatever it's worth) that I never used my Prime account since the date that I was tricked into getting it.

I was also charged for this Prime membership on the very same day (May 15th) I had only 1 order which was a month earlier. Someone needs to start asking the questions and see how many others have been charged without their consent.

I called Amazon after reviewing my bank statement and noticing the $99.00 charge to my checking account.

This is unacceptable and Amazon needs to be held accountable for their actions. Any class action lawyers out there willing to look into this?

@PissedConsumer871181

Same thing happened to me, my bank account was charged $104.94 for Prime Membership that I knew nothing about and did not authorize it. I discovered it immediately and called my bank and they give me an amazon phone # to call, which I did.

I was very upset and told them to refund immediately, which they did. I am very disappointed that amazon would do this because I really thought that they were a reputable business. This could have caused an overdraft and cost me money that I do not have.

I bank on line and usually check my bank balance daily, but how about the people that do not and rely on bank statement that they sometimes don't get around to look at them. I will continue my relationship with amazon, but as I said very very disappointed with this company.

Same thing happened to me. Prime customer for 1 year.

They automatically debited my account 99 dollars for renewal without any notice or consent from me. This is a shameful and deceptive business practice.

I am done with all things amazon and threw my kindle in the garbage. *** Bezos!

@PissedConsumer855544

If you were already an Amazon Prime member, than you gave your consent when you signed up for the service. Automatic renewal is part of the terms & conditions.

Reading those terms & conditions is your responsibility.

...and to throw something in the garbage which you've already paid for only inconveniences yourself.

@PissedConsumer899612

being legal doesn't mean it's not a deceptive exploitative shady practice by a typical ruthless big corporation. for new members the prime sign-up comes up almost automatically. you have to opt-out instead of opt-in...so it's typical unethical trickery.